Follow mostly the instructions available here: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/how-to-upgrade-to-ubuntu-17-04
- Install all available updates
sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade
- Download and install the latest development version
sudo do-release-upgrade -d
- Verify which version of Xubuntu I am using:
Losing xfce desktop
Followed advice from this resource
- While not logged in, go back to the first tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1).
cd $HOME/.cache rm -rf sessions
- Go back to the gui tty (Ctrl+Alt+F7) and log in normally again.
- Update via terminal everything, inspired from sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get update sudo apt update sudo apt-get upgrade sudo apt upgrade sudo shutdown -r now